Saturday, March 13, 2010

Don't Taze Me Bro!

My Saturday nights are fairly routine. Ben usually goes to bed around 7:30 or 8 and then I go up to the church building to print off my sermons, class notes and the bulletin for Sunday morning. If I haven't already picked up the mail for the church before printing, I leave the building when all of the printing and folding is done and then head down to the post office.

Tonight was one of the special nights though. Occasionally I'll stop at the gas station that lies betwixt the two locations to pick up a drink and a snack for Kristen and myself. Kristen returned to a fridge that only had apple juice left as a drink so I decided to try and shine as a husband and get her a drink as well as the ice cream sandwich she'd reminded me she was wanting for much of the day.

I got to the gas station and a younger man, maybe around my age, was standing in front of the entrance and didn't seem to want to move. I squeezed past him, got what I came for and went to pay for it all. As I was waiting for the cashier to ring up my items, I noticed a small gathering by the window and that the man once blocking the door had moved to the other side of the parking lot. I saw a red dot on his chest and I assumed that someone at the window had a laser pointer and was just trying to confuse him. That's when I saw the police officer step into view...with a taser in hand. I don't know if the guy ever got tased or not, but he eventually went down to his knees, was cuffed, and then put in the back of a squad car.

While all of this was going on, the people within in the store were glued to the windows. They were both visibly and audibly excited. They all wondered what he had done. They all wondered who he was. It was the event of the night.

I paid for my items and left, and as I drove to the post office I began to wonder how many of those people would be excited to worship the God of Heaven and Earth the next day. A group of people near me were getting excited as a man hauled off to jail, yet how many of them would be excited to give praises of thanks to the God who gives them all breath? Why is it that we get excited over someone's life going down the drain, but for many, it takes every ounce of willpower one has to get out of bed Sunday morning to give praise to God?

Love you all,
Carl

6 comments:

  1. The Bible says that love "Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;" (I Corinthians 13:6), and usually when people get all excited about stuff like this, they aren't excited that someone who has committed a crime has been caught, but that they were able to witness such a riveting scene.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a vivid reminder of the Roman Empire! The height of life was to see others (particularly Christians) tortured in various way in an arena, or even on a cross. Matthew records, "Sitting down they watched Him there" (Matt. 27:36).

    The world does not change. However, individuals do, starting with Christians--starting with me. We must be separate. Great reminder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, it hit home for me. I belonged to a church that is now 40 minutes from my new home.
    That was 3 years ago and I continued to go for awhile but then I stopped. Not because of the drive but the church merged and I didn't like it.
    I'm not good with change and I liked our small church. So I don't attend a church now. I haven't found one in our area that I liked. I have tried Christmas services but never heard back from the churches. They had all my contact information. My point is that there are other churches 30 minutes away that I could attend and know some people at. I will drive to bowling each Tuesday 30 minutes away yet I do not get up on Sunday to go to church. That just isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a good point to be made, and an honest and good hearted admission to make as well. I think a lot of times we all go to church looking for something offered that will please us, but really we ought to be worshiping for others. We go first and foremost to worship and praise God, but Hebrews 10:24-25 also says that we assemble together in order to provoke one another to love and good works. The times I might not feel like getting up and going, I force myself to wonder, "Who might miss out on edification by my not being there" and it helps to put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great analogy. Good post.

    ReplyDelete