Friday, September 10, 2010

My New Wedding Ring

So last October I lost my wedding ring. I've been beyond ashamed of and disappointed in myself. I don't know how it happened and I have no idea where it could be. I had dropped my wife off at her parents house, stopped at a weekend seminar at a congregation nearby and then came home for the week. It was during that week of searching that I concluded my ring was gone. I take it off to sleep and shower, it might have been lost at the seminar or my in-laws. One way or another, it was gone.

Wedding rings don't have any inherent meaning. They're just circles of some type of metal usually. I know they don't have any inherent meaning because if they did, they would stop many married men and women from doing those things that ruin the marriage relationship. Wedding rings are simply a symbol of a very important promise made between one man and one woman. I don't say all of that to imply that wedding rings have no meaning, just that the object by itself doesn't mean anything. It is the wearer's attitude towards it that makes the ring something special.

I've felt just awful without mine. I've gained the habit of covering up my ring finger where the ring would be with another finger and hoping people wouldn't notice. I doubt that many people look at my fingers when passing by me in the store, but it's the thought behind it that bothers me I suppose. It represents a promise I made to my wife and not having it makes me feel as if that promise has been violated in someway or another.

Needless to say, I'm happy to know I've got a new ring on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment